C. C. Hensley
As mayor, Hensley helped organize the Industrial Development Corporation in 1960 and served as vice-president and chairman of the executive committee. He helped raise the $40,000 to develop Berea's first industrial sites. After the arrival of Berea's first industry, the Berea Rubber Company (later known as the Parker Seal Company and Parker-Hannifin), Hensley was the second employee hired in 1951, working his way up to surpervisor and then foreman. For many years, he held the Standard Oil distributorship in Berea. As a young man, he was employed by the Pinkerton Detective Agency.
He was a member of the First Christian Church, where he was an elder, and of the Berea Masonic Lodge 617 F&AM. He was active in the Berea Chamber of Commerce and the Berea Kiwanis Club.
Hensley traditionally wore a knitted red tie. That symbol was adopted by the Mayor and City Council when it established the C.C. Hensley Distinguished Service Award in 1979 in honor of Hensley's many years of faithful service to Berea. A memorial to him is on display at the flag pole in the Duerson stadium at the Berea City Park.
He was married to Gladys Bauffle Hensley and had one brother, Rudolph, and four sisters, Mrs. Bennett Roop, Mrs. O.H. Green, Mrs. Eunice Neumeyer, and Miss Audrey Hensley. He is buried in the Berea Cemetery.
See Berea Citizen, 19Dec1980, p1 and 2; 31May1979, p4; 21May1981, p1 and 2.